Whenever I go to furniture shops I notice in their display rooms that they have these decorative/display books on the bookshelves or coffee tables. I decided I could make my own and this is how I went about it:
An old hardcover book – I found mine from a thrift shop for 50 cents
Enough fabric to cover the book
PVA or craft glue
Newspaper (to lay down to protect your work surface)
- Lay out the fabric on a flat surface on top of your newspaper, place the book on top and position it so that if opened it will have enough fabric to cover the outside and leaving a good 2cm edge to fold onto the inside
- Once you get the positioning right lift the book and put a generous amount of glue on the back of the book, use the paintbrush to distribute it evenly, and then lay the book back down on the fabric and then carefully flip it over and pat the fabric down onto the book ensuring you have removed any wrinkles or bumps.
- Open the back cover and start gluing the 2 cm edge inside the cover of the book trimming off any excess bits of fabric.
- Close the book and paint glue down the spine of the book continuing to stick the fabric to it and tuck and glue the excess into the spine. At this point I would leave the first half to dry overnight to avoid the bottom sticking to your newspaper.
- Continue around to the front of the book using the same method, and PRESTO you are done! Now wait overnight for that to dry and do with as you wish! Would also work well on a hard cover journal or diary for yourself or as a gift.