Like most of my recipes, these lamb shanks have evolved over time from making and experimenting and adding different ingredients and quantities each time – they are now at a place where they can only be described as OMG! My other half said they were the nicest lamb shanks he has had to date… and I agree (soooo humble lol :))!!
|Time: Prep: 20-30mins Cook: 3-4hours||Serves: 4|
3-4 lamb shanks
1 onion – diced
3-4 cloves garlic – crushed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons fresh thyme – roughly pulled off stalks
4 tablespoons fresh rosemary – roughly pulled off stalks
2 cups beef stock
1 cup water
1 packet roast meat gravy powder
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
4 anchovy fillets – chopped
1 carrot – sliced
2 stalks of celery – sliced
1 can lentils – drained
1 can of diced tomatoes
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Place a casserole dish on the stove top on med-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the shanks for a few mins on each side.
- Remove shanks from dish add a little more oil and add onion and garlic cooking for 3-5 mins until softened.
- Add tomato paste and cook stirring for a further 3 mins, then add wine and boil for 5 mins until alcohol has cooked out and the mixture has reduced slightly and thickened.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir and then return lamb shanks to casserole dish.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours, rotating shanks occasionally until meat is tender and falling off bone.
- Serve on a bed of mashed potato!